Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Editing the Dissertation

I am attempting to finish a dissertation on the early Wittgenstein. I am currently proofreading my first full draft. I am surprised both by how much I'm enjoying this stage of the process and by how slow it is going. The most difficult part of each day is what to do with myself when I cannot edit anymore. I find it dangerous to leave the house or to get caught up in a task that's too demanding. On Monday my break was watching Michael Haneke's excellent and harrowing The Time of the Wolf (Le Temps du Loup) (2003). Yesterday I downloaded Internet Explorer (which takes a surprisingly long time to download) in order to watch Netflix movies over the internet. The first movie I chose (Heading South (2005)) downloaded almost instantly and the quality was quite good, although I only had time and energy to watch the first twenty minutes. We receive (per month) an hour of internet viewing for each dollar of our monthly subscription fee. We've been members of Netflix for awhile now (since 2002) and I have been impressed with the company as it has grown and expanded its services since then. And they have helped to keep me sane while writing the dissertation.

No comments: